HOW TO RECOGNIZE A QUALITY OLIVE OIL
O-live October 24, 2017
Learning to recognize a quality olive oil is easy if you know what to look for. Become a savvy consumer by reading our tips below. Remember, the only olive oil designation offering proven health benefits is Extra Virgin.
Olisur’s brands exceed the Extra Virgin standards, so you can always feel confident in choosing our products.
WHAT IS EXTRA VIRGIN?
- Must be made from fresh olives, extracted from the fruit solely by physical means.
- Temperature during processing must be below 27°C.
- No solvent can be used in the process.
- Free fatty acid level must be below 0.8% and Peroxide Value must be < 20 meq (milliequivalent) o2/Kg
HOW TO TASTE OLIVE OIL?
- Warm up a small amount of liive oil in the bottom of a small glass.
- Swirl it around for some seconds and cup your hand over.
- Take away your hand and put your nose in the glass, draw in shortly through the nose.
- Place a small quantity of oil in your mouth (bitterness).
- Draw air sharply over the oil on your tongue (pungency and vliatile compounds).
- Swallow or split out the oil.
HOW TO CLASSIFY OLIVE OILS?
- Extra Virgin: No defects and clear presence of fruity sensation
- Virgin: Presence of defect together with fruity sensations
- Lampante: Strong presence of defects